Standards don’t have to be from the great American Songbook. If you don’t know these seven standards, you should. Listen to the full episode above to hear why or simply read the list below with direct links to the tunes.
- “I Cover the Waterfront” Louis Armstrong – (Peter’s pick from deep in the Armstrong catalog)
- “Beatrice” Sam Rivers – (Adam’s pick with short form, with fun changes)
- “I Remember Clifford” Benny Golson – (Peter learned this back when he was 24 and in Roy Hargrove’s band)
- “Everything Happens to Me” Matt Dennis – (Adam’s choice with fun quirky lyrics)
- “The Masquerade is Over” Allie Wrubel and Herb Magidson – (Peter’s can’t stop listening to the Nancy Wilson classic recording)
- “Somewhere” Leonard Bernstein – (Adam’s inspired by the Keith Jarrett version)
- “Upper Manhattan Medical Group (UMMG)” Billy Strayhorn – (Peter recalls that Strayhorn wrote this while actually in the hospital)
What do you think of these seven?
Want to hear more from Peter and Adam from the “You’ll Hear It”? There’s tons more, checkout the podcast.